Merry Go-Round Lessons: Verizon


Perfect install AND clean up....Not


Learned --> Don't let courtesy (or fear of not being liked) replace your intent

Who would have thought today's events would come to this? All I wanted was a bit of Internet, a home phone and the ability to stream Hulu with a glass of wine. What I got was a slighted Verizon employee, lackluster service and a stark reminder of my power as a consumer.  As a customer, for the longest time I thought it rude to express my discontent with a business or vendor. Figured if something was wrong, it was MY fault for not being clear enough, not having a crystal understanding of what I was after. Even as I type, memory lane resurges with multiple returns to Sephora, JcPenny, TjMaxx, etc - all of which are plagued with ME as the customer feeling like I'm doing the business a huge disservice by *gasp* not totally devouring their product

But na-uh-uh..today was different. I wasn't happy with the service, nor the installation tech's attitude once she got on site. On the phone, she sounded sure, stable and damn-near angelic compared to her in-person persona. We finally meet up and bologna hits the fan: No time, no connectivity, no service installation. Oh, and because I'd used up the apparent "courtesy" one-hour installation, there's a high chance the next outing's gonna cost me AND there is no guarantee on the work that needs to be done. Call me crazy but I actually felt a jolt of confidence as I cancelled my order altogether. Sure I got hung up on, and got a tee bit of sarcasm from yet-another not-so-happy-Verizon employee, and that's okay. 

I exercised my consumer right to choose, and made it clear that the service given did not meet my standards. No longer concerned with being nice, aiming for decisiveness and results - this was a great little (personal growth) moment of triumph. One that I look forward to repeating again and again, perhaps one day in person. 

Besides, I don't like dealing with big bad businesses anyway. 

Angie: + 10
Verizon: - 20 (I have a big mouth)






Post a Comment